Sunday, April 20, 2008

Programming a Graphing Calculator

As this final project comes to a close, I wanted to share with you all the progress I've made and the goals I've met through my IEP. I now understand the language of the TI-83 Plus graphing calculator, and I'm able to use it to compile meaningful programs with minimal difficulties. I often laugh to myself in embarrassment that I never new how to do this stuff before, even though I'm been using the TI-83 for over 10 years. I'm not proud of that fact, but now I know.

As part of the IEP, I've created a unit plan on how to use the TI-83 Plus with an emphasis on programming which consists of 5 lesson plans; however, each lesson varies in length and may take several days. I also have links to the 4 worksheets I created as part of the unit.

If you wish, you can read a self-reflection of my journey establishing an IEP, setting objectives and goals, and meeting them through a unit plan applicable to any algebra class. Although this unit sounds like it focuses on 8th grade math, it can really be applied to all secondary levels of math, including advanced placement calculus. Please check out the links below to view more details about the IEP.

Self-Reflection

Unit Plan

Worksheets for Unit Plan:

1 comment:

John Doherty said...

Thank you for sharing your work product. I am a teacher in Arizona. I am planning on integrating programming into my Algebra I curriculum this year. I like your unit and worksheets. I would like to use some of what you did as a basis for what I am doing in my classes. Good luck to you in your studies and in your career.
Cheers